Sunday, July 15, 2007

My First Experience Studying In UNITEN


It was 30th June 2007, the day that I had been waiting for. It was the registration day in Universiti Tenaga Nasional (UNITEN). I remembered when I first arrived at the university, I was totally shocked to see that the campus was extremely huge and beautiful. I was as happy as a lark as it was my first time to study in a campus.

Then, I went to the administration building to register myself as a student. It was that moment when I started to meet a lot of friends with different races, religions and places of origin. They were all scholars just like me. At first, I was very shy and felt isolated as I came from rural area in Sabah. Later, we suddenly became close friends.

After registering as a student, I went to my apartment. I met my roommate and housemates who live together with me. The apartment was clean and comfortable. However, I still missed my family, my mother’s cooking and my home. As the saying goes, “no place feels like home”. Besides that, I have to do my own laundry everyday. I even have to walk on feet to the nearest food court to take my breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday. It takes about 5 minutes to reach the food court.

The first week was the orientation week. I had to queue up everyday just to take my breakfast, lunch and dinner. I had also listened talks and speeches about the rules in the university, self – motivation and others. Besides that, there were also entertainment programmes like group games, regular exercise and running around the campus. The orientation week was certainly fun but tiring. I felt sick due to insufficient sleeping hour.

It was then felt glad when the orientation week was finally over. Lectures started on the second week. I was so excited as it was my first day to attend classes or more well known as lectures. Shuttle bus was prepared to transport students from apartment to Institute of Liberal Studies. The classroom was small but comfortable and air – conditioned. On that day, I met friendly classmates and lecturers. They were experienced and good in teaching. However, I realized that their teaching method is completely different compared with my secondary school teachers. Therefore, it is going to take tine for me to adapt with the new environment. Apart from that, basically my daily routines are self-repeated.

Campus life is certainly exciting but challenging. Therefore, surviving in this new hectic definitely requires some effort. Just remember, “When you are in Rome, do what the Romans do”.

No comments: